Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 07:33:56 +0000 ()
From:      "Mel Lester Jr." <meljr@connet80.rain.com>
To:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AMD processors

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996 richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk wrote:

> Can anyone confirm that FreeBSD (2.0.5 or 2.1) runs on AMD DX4-100 and/or
> AMD DX4-120 processors (without having to disable the cache or anything
> similar)?  Anything special I should look out for when buying a motherboard?
>
> *Please reply directly, I'm not on this list!*
>
> Thanks,
>   Richard

I have been using FreeBSD 2.0.5 with a 3 volt AMD DX4-100 for more than a
month now and have no problems that I can attribute to the processor or
the no name motherboard it resides on.

In fact, the only problem that I have experienced is when trying to make
the /usr/ports/net/irc distribution, the system locks up completely when
downloading the compressed tar file.  My connection is currently a full
time 28.8 dial up to our provider and I am using user ppp, so I expect I
didn't do something correctly in setting it up as I get messages like the
following within minutes of launching user ppp:

connet80# ppp
User Process PPP. Written by Toshihaur OHNO.
Log level is 09
Using interface: tun0
Interactive mode
ppp ON connet80> dial rainet
dial OK!
login OK!
ppp ON connet80> Packet mode.
ppp ON connet80>
PPP ON connet80> Jan  2 05:38:22 connet80 routed[43]: deleting route to
interface tun0 (timed out)
Jan  2 05:38:22 connet80 routed[43]: deleting route to interface tun0
(timed out)
Jan  2 05:38:22 connet80 routed[43]: deleting route to interface tun0
(timed out)

After this, everything still seems to work OK, mail comes and goes, users
can telnet in and out (although this seems to lock up the system
occasionally), and the web server (Apache 1.0.0) and Lynx seem to go
about their business with no particular problems.

Anyway, I'm getting way off topic here.  The AMD-100 seems to do it's
thing and hasn't caused me any grief that I probably did'nt bring on myself.

meljr@ConNet80.rain.com - Operations Manager ConNet80