Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:07:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need vt100 in minicom, not vt102

At Mon, 22 Oct 2001 it looks like Christian Weisgerber composed:

naddy->You appear confused.
naddy->

Yes I am, good observation ;>  It's when run minicom from a vt100
terminal, minicom reports it's running vt102. I'm trying to locate
where in minicom it decides to ignore the parent vt100 and use it's
own default vt102.

[midsection_humbly_snipped]

naddy->You cannot "manipulated the TERM in minicom".  Minicom includes a
naddy->terminal emulation, which can be switched between different types
naddy->of terminals.  If you are connected to a host in minicom, you should
naddy->set TERM there to a value that corresponds to minicom's terminal
naddy->emulation setting.
naddy->

That sounds like a winner, I was struggling the other way.

naddy->> (B) Can anyone point me to a description of the differences between
naddy->> vt102 and vt100 ?
naddy->
naddy->The usual candidates are:
naddy->http://vt100.net/
naddy->http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html
naddy->
naddy->The VT102 is a slightly more capable superset of the VT100.

Hmm, OK I thought maybe vt100 was preferable to vt102. (see confused
above :)

naddy->Both NetBSD and OpenBSD/sparc64 are rather shakey at this time.
naddy->Whatever problems you may run into, terminal emulation isn't likely
naddy->to be one.
naddy->
naddy->"UltraLinux" (Linux/sparc64) on the other hand is a farce.  They
naddy->have a sun4u kernel, but the userland is plain 32-bit sparc.
naddy->

I wasn't aware of that, but thanks for your posting. You seem very
knowledgable.

--
Bill Schoolcraft | PO Box 210076
    San Francisco, CA 94121