Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:23:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Deny a set of ips for a group using ipfw

I am currently running a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE box as a nat
gateway, however, I find the need to give out a few shell
accounts to some of my friends.

But, in case one of my friends turns out to be hazardous
to my network I will not be happy. So I decided to prevent
it before it happens.

What I want to do is block an interface from being used
by the group users. And only allowed by people in the group
wheel.

I thought that this would do that for me:
ipfw add 1050 allow all from any to any gid wheel
ipfw add 1051 deny all from any to any gid users via de0

de0 is my internal interface, and de1 is my external interface.

However, any normal user can still ping the computers on my
internal interface.

I don't see why this is happening.

Here is a printout of "ipfw show":
00010  664306 337437059 divert 8668 ip from any to any via de1
01000       0         0 deny ip from any to 192.168.0.5
01001       0         0 deny ip from any to 207.199.68.5
01050    4878    348297 allow ip from any to any gid wheel
01051       0         0 deny ip from any to any gid users via de0
01100 1314240 647617396 allow ip from any to any
65535       1       345 deny ip from any to any

And all my users that I want to be denied access are in the group
users (gid 100). And this is the entry I have in /etc/group for it:
users:*:100:

I don't see why it is not filtering out those packets.

--bhishan