Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:05:34 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Eirik ?verby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asr on amd64

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:33:24PM +0100, Eirik ?verby wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:34:27AM +0100, Eirik ?verby wrote:
> >>Daring as I am, here's another attempt at having someone look into the
> >>asr driver and why it doesn't work on amd64.
> >>I have such a Zero-Channel RAID card laying around collecting dust,
> >>whereas it was planned installed in a server here long time ago.
> >>
> >>I know Scott Long looked into it long ago, and he seems to have been the
> >>last one to touch the driver. He indicated a few months ago that he had
> >>little time; perhaps things look brighter now that 5.3 is out?
> >>
> >>I'll cross-post to -current/-stable in a few days if I don't hear
> >>anything..
> >
> >NO need to cross post.  Unless you see a statement otherwise -- nothing
> >has changed.  eBay a *real* RAID controller. ;-))
>
> Sorry. Already done.. And for the record, this *is* a "real" RAID
> controller;
..
> It's a Ultra320 SCSI RAID controller card, used by many Tyan high-end
> Opteron motherboards.

Zero-channel RAID controllers perform below a full-fledged RAID
controllers.

> it's a real pity noone cares about upgrading the driver.

Its not a "don't care" issue -- if you investigated the driver you'd
realize how difficult it is.  It wasn't until just reciently that Linux
managed to support these RAID cards in the 64-bit kernel.  That's over 2
years since the first AMD64 Linux was released (much less beta's etc...)

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)