Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:46:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some woes about rc.conf.site

> :>
> :> What do you think ? Or what are your experiences ?
> :
> :I hate it unreservedly.  If we need a source of seeded default values,
> :we should have rc.conf.default, uncommented, read-only.  rc.conf is
> :where people expect to make their changes, and it is immensely bogus to
> :have sysinstall creating rc.conf.site which is quietly included *after*
> :everything in rc.conf (so that when someone changes rc.conf, the change
> :is overridden).
> :
> :--
>
>     My opinion is that since we have /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local, we might
>     as well use /etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf.local the same way -- that
>     is, just as /etc/rc should not be touched by anyone, neither should
>     /etc/rc.conf be touched by anyone.

We have a system-wide convention that *.conf files are parameter files
which are to be edited by the administrator.  rc.conf is the
configuration file for the rc* process.  It is not to be confused with
the other rc.* files.

>     sysinstall ( and any other GUI configurator ) should mess with
>     /etc/rc.conf.site

No.

>     The user messes with /etc/rc.conf.local

And no again.

You've just introduced an impossible layering problem here;
auto-configurator or administrator - who has precedence?

If you want more layering, add it yourself, in the file that's meant
for adjustment.

The fundamental problem here is that rc.conf.site is an unnecessary
violation of our established conventions as well as POLA.

>     Perhaps the problem is that we are simply naming these things badly.
>     Frankly, I would rather get rid of rc.conf.site entirely and just leave
>     rc.conf and rc.conf.local -- and have sysinstall mess with rc.conf.local.

That's no better.