Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Naumov <dan_naumov@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/37451: top, vmstat and systat refuse to work.

The following reply was made to PR i386/37451; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dan Naumov <dan_naumov@yahoo.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

 Problem solved, this is how I did it:

 My previous partition layout was as following:

 /boot  - 50 MB
 swap   - 1024 MB
 /home  - about 7 GB
 /      - rest of the HD

 I heard on some mailing lists that people were having
 similar problems as I did, and apparently the problem
 went away when they re-partitioned and made their /
 less then 2 GB. So I went ahead and did a full
 reinstall.

 /      - 512 MB
 swap   - 512 MB
 /home  - 29 GB
 /tmp   - 512 MB
 /usr   - 6 GB

 After changing the partition scheme to THIS, all my
 problems went away. /boot/loader started working, so
 did "top", "systat" and "vmstat". /me is happy.

 However, I really think that this weird limitation of
 /boot/loader should be documented somewhere,
 preferably the Handbook.
 /var - 512 MB