Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:00:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Peter Hornby <p.hornby@ned.dem.csiro.au>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vmware2 on 4.1-RELEASE

Peter Hornby writes:
<..>
 > 1) Attempts to set all forms of physical/raw disk crash the vmware
 > configuration editor. This crash generally occurs when filling in the
 > appropriate field in the configuration editor dialog. (The wizard seems to
 > manage OK though). If one edits the files by hand, (or uses the wizard)
 > then vmware crashes when it tries to access the disks. This occurs whether
 > one says the disk is /dev/hda, /compat/linux/dev/hda, /dev/wd0 (hey, I'll
 > try anything!).

Have you tried reading /usr/local/share/doc/vmware/Hints.FreeBSD?
Specifically, you should be using a "plain" disk.  See Hints.FreeBSD
for more details.

I've set up both my wife's laptop (Win98) and my boss's desktop
(win2k) like this, both work flawlessly under vmware.  My wife
actually boots natively occasionally, my boss never hase -- I
installed w2k under vmware on a fresh disk installed into his box just
for w2k under vmware.

I've set up both of these machine manually (eg, not used the
configuration editor).

<..>
 > booting native and a vm-machine from the same partition though. You may
 > think that by setting two windows configurations that you will deal with
 > the different hardware configurations seen by windows. If you think this
 > will work, you don't know M$ very well. Alternate hardware profiles may
 > indeed deal with the odd serial port, modem, or even an ethernet card going
 > missing, but if you think M$ ever contemplated dealing with the entire
 > BIOS, motherboard, graphics card etc. etc. etc. changing from one
 > configuration to another, then think again. I've spent hours trying to
 > tip-toe through this mine field.... auto-detecting hardware ad nauseam,
 > trying this that & the other order of hardware additions, vmware corrupting
 > registries.....and this is with a (real) chipset the same as the virtual
 > one (though the real machine is dual CPU). If anyone has a way around

This is indeed a royal pain in the butt.  I managed to get my wife's
laptop working after a day or so of fiddling.  There was some initial
schizophrenia regarding the video card, but the profiles seem to just
work now.  I have no idea what the problem with the video card was in
the first place...

Drew