Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:00:11 -0700
From:      Nate Puri <natepuri@office.ompages.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-Window Manager for Small Size RAM

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 11:13:20PM -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 10:42:01AM +0800, Alex Kwan wrote:
> > My FreeBsd Box was 4.0R am only have 32 MB RAM,
> > which X window managers are recommanded?
>
> I myself very much like flwm. I even use it when I don't have a RAM
> shortage. Very small, very fast, and very simple. Great for people
> who hate to mess around with little details in config files - it has
> none.

If you don't like config files.  I recommend either windowmaker (if you
do like icon clicking), or icewm (if you don't care about icons).  Both are
very fash.  Icewm is faster, but windowmaker is more featureful.  I've
run it in 486s w/ 16M RAM.  But is was a tad slow.  If you are approaching
32M RAM I would try windowmaker and icewm and see which one you like best.

There are faster window managers, but none look as nice or are as featureful
as these sans config file headaches.

good luck...

-nate