Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:00:32 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg -configure ... Segmentation fault at address 0x0

On 2014-12-16, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to bring up a new wokrstation.  I've just successfully
> installed 10.1-RELEASE and I'm now just trying to get X properly
> configured.  So far it isn't going at all well.

What exactly are you trying to configure?  For years now, X.org's
intend has been that *no* configuration should be necessary for the
majority of setups.

The old approach of using "X -configure" to create a basic xorg.conf
which is then tweaked is as obsolete as modeline calculators.

> I found this page which says, at the very bottom, that this is a
> known problem:

Yes, "X -configure" is broken, unnecessary, and may never get fixed.