Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:10:11 -0800
From:      Matt Rice <mjr7893@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Please Help

This is pretty weird, i usually am on the other end of this process
answering web dev or flash questions.    Anyways one of my uncle's gave me
an older computer and i decided to turn it into a FreeBSD box, but have been
having some extreme problems simply installing it.

The install looks like its going ok until it gets to cd9660: Rockridge
Extension where it hangs until i hit alt-f2 where it makes me choose a
distribution and then says the install failed.

The computer is an AST Advantage! 9304.  It's a cheesy old Pentium 133.  The
hard drive was broken so i bought a new 20 GB Western Digital HD

The computer has the following installed:
8x ATAPI CD-ROM  Torison?
20GB Western Digital EIDE HD  Model WD200ABRTL
Netgear Ethernet ISA Card   Model EA 201
Floppy Drive
Logic Chipset: Intel 430 HX
IDE Controller: Intel 82439HX (PIIX3)
Super I/O Controller: National Semiconductor PC87306B

I don't have any scsi controllers so i have been taking them off the visual
kernel thing, i also have that onflict between the pc board and the ethernet
adapter.  After device probe i get the following DEBUG messges:

DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
DEBUG: Can't open PC-card controller /dev/card0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to s10

any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt Rice
mjr7893@rit.edu