Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        lrios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Sendmail

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, lrios wrote:

> I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Pentium II 266mhz machine with
> 256M ram and finding performace issues with Sendmail.. I've placed much
> load on this machine and found that I can old get about 200 emails per
> minute.. Just for comparison I did that same on a Linux machine running a

  What does "get 200 emails per minute" mean?  Where did these message
come from?  Via SMTP or locally generated?  Where did the messages go?
SMTP or local delivery?

> 75 mhz Pentium and 32 mb ram and found that it could put about 500 per
> minute.  I also found that the pentium two barely took a breath while the
> linux machine was at 20% idle (not a suprise).. Is that because of
> different memory managers or some type of kernel config?? Any ideas would
> be greatly appreciated...

  Can't really tell what is going on, but I suspect that it some network
or disk issue, and definitely NOT "memory manager" (VM) related.

  What kind of network card do you have?  What kind of hard drive(s)?

> Would SYSVSHM or SYSVSEM make a difference??

  Not at all.

Tom