Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:31:54 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is 't' in chmod?

On Wed 2001-03-07 (09:27), Jim Freeze wrote:
> The difference is
>
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root     wheel         512 Mar  1 22:19 ./
>          ^
>
> What is the 't' and how do I get the mode:
>
> drwxr-xr-t
>
> I tried 1755 but got
>
> drwxr-xr-T

The sticky bit.  From ls(1):

        These next two apply only to the third character in the last
        group (other permissions).

              T     The sticky bit is set (mode 1000), but not execute
                    or search permission.  (See chmod(1) or
                    sticky(8).)

              t     The sticky bit is set (mode 1000), and is search-
                    able or executable.  (See chmod(1) or sticky(8).)

Read chmod(1) or sticky(8) for more info (as suggested above).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org