Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 18:40:30 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SSLeay 0.8.1 port, rsaref troubles.

Hello.
I tryed to make the subject explain most of my problems at this time.
I downloaded the SSLeay-0.8.1 portt from the FreeBSD ports collection.
It was also stated that rsaref-2.0 was required, so I naturally followed
the link to download that port.
I first compiled and installed the rsaref port, or so I thought.
I untarred the file, typed make, saw no errors, and then typed make
install to finish the installation of rsaref port.
I then untarred the SSLeay.tar file, typed make, the dist-file was
fetched from the master site, extracted, and then here is where my
problem is.
There was a message, stating that SSLEay needs executable rsaref\2\ or
something like that.    In fact, it was called: rsaref\.2\.  And it kept
looking for it in /usr/ports/security/rsaref.
I have installed several ports, and have never come upon something like
this.
Should this rsaref port be installed in /usr/ports even if it is
downloaded off the net?
I should explain then that the make process says "skipping," and
continues the make process.
However, when all is made, and I type make install, nothing is installed
in /usr/local/ssl, and in fact, I am having a whale of a time finding
where this thing got installed.
What am I doing incorrectly?  Is there anything in any of the Makefiles
that must be changed before typing make for the first time?
Has anyone else run into this?
I have tryed to include all information.
Thanks.
Jeremy