Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 12:12:02 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone used arkeia backup for linux?

At 01:05 AM 4/2/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Gary Schrock wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone's gotten Arkeia backup for linux working under
>> freebsd.  It appears the program mostly works, but it does want a "generic
>> scsi" device for controlling the tape, and from looking at my dev directory
>> I'm not sure that anything really matches (I think they're like /dev/sga
>> /dev/sgb in linux).  The program seems to run, but I can't get anything to
>> backup :(.  Other than that, it seems to be a reasonably decent piece of
>> software, and seems to be more comprehensible at setting up to do network
>> backups than amanda is (since I still haven't managed to figure out how to
>> get amanda to work).
>
>Got a URL?  We could probably port it.

Unfortunately it's a commercial product.  They support a couple of flavors
of unix, but I think linux was the only one that we have any sort of
compatability with.  I suspect the real problem is our linux compatability
missing some stuff, I do remember seeing a message about an unsupported
ioctl in messages.  Anybody that wants to look at it, it's at
www.knox-software.com.

Hmm, the listed platforms for pc unix are linux and sco (3.2, Openserver 5,
Unixware V 2.x).  I seem to recall we have some sco compatability, but I
don't remember to what extent.  Of course, the plus with their shareware
version (which is only available in the linux flavor) is that it does
everything I need without having to lay out a whole ton of money.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu