Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 11:33:56 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>, Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Subject:   RE: Make world failure

Hi,

At 9:10 am +0100 28/9/97, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>>[...]
>>  /usr/bin/mkdep: cannot create _mkdep28392: directory nonexistent
>>  *** Error code 2
>>  [etc]
>>
>>  I've been digging around for the last 5 hrs or so.  I'm Stumped!
>

>I have been digging too.  Not this long, though.  When in doubt, blow
>/usr/obj.
>
>Note:  There is no logical, mathematical or sceitific reason for the above
>(that I am aware of).

My piece of the jigsaw:

I had exactly the same problem. Working my way through the over-the-counter
remedies I too reached the rm -rf /usr/obj/* stage.

Actually, I cd to /usr/obj and rm -rf *. It refuses to remove several leaf
files, citing "Operation not permitted" (errno 1 I assume). But I'm root!

As it happens, I keep /usr/obj on a separate filesystem connected up by a
symlink. So I unmount the sucker, clri these odd files, fsck the thing back
to normal, remount and do the rm -rf.

This is where it gets interesting: the build still fails in exactly the
same way. There are no unremovable files below /usr/obj now, but this time
I blow away the directory which is the target of my /usr/obj symlink as
well as points south (and remake the directory, of course). Now everything
works. Wierd or what?

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK