Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 00:05:16 -0500
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        lmcdefo@lmc.ericsson.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP acts ODDLY (was Re: FreeBSD 2.0R + SLIP = crashes: the plot thickens)

    Denis> Our machine has a PPP link to the Internet

Say!  How'd you get that to work?  Is this 2.0R?

A local provider's giving me a free trail with PPP where his system
assigns an IP address from a pool.  If I like it, I'll get the
dedicated link.

My ppp options file looks fine to me.  I can dial his server (one of
those Annex systems), start ppp on his end, and start pppd on mine.

Then, the fun begins.  I can telnet to the world if I specify IP
addresses.  Each connection lasts only thirty seconds or so---then it
just hangs there.  Sames true for incoming connections---to any port
(smtp, daytime, sink, etc.).  And forget name-addr resolution.  My
resolv.conf is pointed to his nameserver, but any hostname specified,
or even nslookup, gives a timeout.

Plus, the netstat command acts oddly: netstat -r or netstat -i print
their banner information, then wait for QUITE SOME TIME, then finally
print their info.  If I kill pppd, then the commands start working
fine again.

My ppp options file, kernel config file, or any other pertinent info
available on request.

--k