Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:51:58 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make DESTDIR=/some/where install package

Interesting behavior. Certainly violates the POLA, IMO.

If you do:

   make DESTDIR=/tmp/tmp-root install

then your package will be installed in /tmp/tmp-root/....

If you then do:

   make DESTDIR=/tmp/tmp-root package

your package will be made so that, when it is installed, it will go in
/tmp/tmp-root/....

Not at all what I expected. I would think the right behavior is to make the
package so it will install in the *normal* location, but using the files in
/tmp/tmp-root.

This is in a quest to make "clean" packages, like from a bento build, but
without having the whole bento infrastructure.

Can I get ports to do what I expected it to do above? Any ports makefile
gurus out there with suggestions?

petef suggested looking at the OpenBSD "fake" mechanism, but I couldn't find
any docs on it.  I'll have to do an install into a tree and look at the real
thing; I'll get to that RSN.

--
Alan Eldridge
#include <cstdlib>