Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 08:21:26 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange memory usage on 2.2.1 (leak ?)

Doug White writes:

> > ... Is there a known memory leak in
> >
> > a) netscape 4.0 standalone (FreeBSD)
>
> Probably, esp. if you leave it running all the time.

	I do.

> Any particular culprits of massive memory usage?

	Well, Netscape grows to 35-40 Mb usage after a while, but that
	doesn't account for all the memory in use...  Also, I killed
	Netscape couple of days ago (rather: it sig 11'ed itself :-)
	and now it's at 22 Mb virtual.

	Once again, (if that's a correct way of counting), adding up everything
	that 'ps aux' gives me totals to 85112 and  57200  (virtual and  resident)
	at this moment.

	And pstat -s:
	Total            196480   141408    55072    72%  (in K)

	Does that look reasonable ?

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
  "Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead IN and