Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 11:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, malte@webmore.com, kline@thought.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 problem?

According to Dag-Erling Coidan [Sm_rgrav]:
> Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> writes:
> > 	Anyhow, back to the W32 problem, one of the XFree86 people
> > 	tells me that the W32 server has known flaws.  ((I read some
> > 	of them.  This one may not have been reported until now.))
>
> If you're running XFree86 3.3.x, you should probably consider using
> the SVAG server instead of the W32 server:
>
> <URL:file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.tseng>
>
> The SVGA driver for ET4000 chipsets supports all color depths (8, 15, 16, 24
> and 24 bpp) on most ET4000 chips starting with the ET4000W32i. The ET4000W32
> only supports 8bpp. Depending on the RAMDAC and the support code in the SVGA
> server, some cards may only support a few of these color depths, or even only
> 8bpp.
>
> <URL:file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.W32>
>
> XF86_W32 gets phased out, now that the SVGA server with XAA acceleration is at
> least as fast as the W32 server but supports more cards and for some even
> higher color depths. For details about using the XF86_SVGA with W32 cards, look
> below. Note that currently not all cards that are accelerated by XF86_W32 are
> accelerated by XF86_SVGA at this moment (only ET6000 and ET4000W32p to be
> exact).

	Thanks.  I wasn't clear on this until your posting
	encouraged  me to take an hour or two and _try_ it.
	I've got a Cardex Challenger Pro and the latest SVGA
	driver does work!  xvidtune has tweaked the display
	and it looks nice.

	I've already ordered ``Jordan's Pick'', the Matrox
	Millennium---figured that three years is worth a card
	upgrade.    Maybe the Matrox with 4M will let me go
	to 1280x1024.

	For now,  one step closer to being done upgrading.

	gary