Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:20:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Jeremy Suo-Anttila <jps@funeralexchange.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: No such file or directory. Errors with Linux Jdk1.4.0.1 & Resin or Tomcat

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:32:03PM -0500, Jeremy Suo-Anttila wrote:
> I have been experiencing allot of java crashes (2-3 some days) with the
> following error code every time it happens. If any one could tell me what I
> can do to prevent future crashes from happening or how I can get more info
> from the crash and find a way to patch my system to make them work that
> would be great. The errors are listed below along with other info. Also if
> anyone else has had the same problems please let me know and I will submit a
> pr for this.
>
> I have already upgraded to the latest linux_base last night from linux_base6
> and reinstalled the linux-sun-jdk.1.4.0.1 from the ports.

There are known issues with running HotSpot under Linux emulation.  I would
certainly advise against it for a production system of any kind.

> GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...

Ok, you do realise that you're running a FreeBSD gdb on a Linux binary?
I don't expect that will tell you very much...

> Core was generated by `java'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Abort trap.
> /lib/libpthread.so.0: No such file or directory.

Thats a message from gdb, its got very little to do with your problem.
Its basically occuring because you're using the FreeBSD gdb, so it will
look in /lib rather than /usr/compat/linux/lib for libpthread.so.0.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it might be worth asking
about your problem on freebsd-emulation (since the problem actually
lies in the Linux emulation layer).  The information you supplied
was fairly extensive, so that can only help.  Its a pity there isn't
a reliable quick way to produce the problem or I'd suggest to run
things under truss and maybe see what system calls are going on
around the crash zone.  It may also help to use the a Linux gdb
which will probably be more help with the binary.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org