Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:09:35 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem pulling particular directory from CVS

At 1:43 PM -0800 11/26/02, Paul A. Scott wrote:
>  > From: Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
>  > Are you maybe running out of space on your local drive?  You might
>  > also have a corrupted CVS repo, but I don't think you'd be getting
>  > those errors in that case.
>
>No, I have over 40GB available on the filesystem.
>
>CVSROOT is set to :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
>so, if the repository is corrupt, then someone else has to fix it.

It's possible that it's the /tmp directory on the remote side which
is running out of disk space.   CVS does not work well over a remote
connection, when dealing with a very large repository.

If I had 40-gig to play with, I would much rather cvsup the CVS tree
to my local hard disks, and then CVS to *that* repository.  In fact,
that's exactly what I do, on all my freebsd machines (except my sparc),
and most of my machines have less than 10-gig available.

This is much better for everyone involved, if you have an extra 2 gig
or so that you can use for holding the repository.  (extra in addition
to the space you'll need for /usr/src when you check it out from your
copy of the repository).