Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 1997 20:23:57 -0800
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User ppp vs. pppd

Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Burton Sampley wrote:
>
> > I'm currently running FBSD 2.2 -Beta with user ppp -auto through the
> > tun0 device to connect to my ISP (Best.com also using FBSD).  Is pppd
> > worth the headaches of installation and configuration?  Is there any
> > significant performance improvement by switching tp pppd since I'll be
> > connecting to another FBSD box (any secret settings could improve my
> > performance)?  I'm currently accessing my ISP with a 28.8Kbps modem.
>
> pppd in itself, being a kernel process, is faster than iijppp.  But it's a
> bit less flexible and not easy to config.  There are instructions in the
> Handbook and I can refer you to an associate of mine who has a very nice
> pppd configuration, including unattended outbound connections.

I decided to give pppd a try.  I followed the instructions in the
on-line handbook and was able to get it running in less than 1/2 hour
(of course that was after the kernel rebuild removing the tun0 device
and adding the ppp0 device).  The only thing I needed to do was change
the sample scripts to reflect my user info. for my ISP.  That's it,
quick and painless.

Thanks for your help.

--
Burton Sampley