Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:22:43 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding user / length of usernames...

Hello,
I've got some questions regarding adding users. If I try to start
adduser, it shows up an interactive interface for adding users. This
is nice for people who need it rarely or need to have different
configs all the time. I, OTOH, need to have it scripted as we
have to create almost identical accounts over and over (we use them as
login for the FTPd as well as for quota reasons) again. man adduser
shows switches but if I try to use
# adduser -shell no -home /home/web/a/test2_com/web/ test2_com
I end up with the interactive interface as well. What am I doing
wrong? (Linux' useradd did this without any problems but that one
hasn't got any interactive modes, AFAIK).

And the second question:

"You can change UT_NAMESIZE in
/usr/include/utmp.h and recompile the world; people have done
this and it works, but you will have problems with any precom-
piled programs, or source that assumes the 8-character name limit
and NIS." - adduser manpage
We won't use NIS but ProFTPd [1] (which handles long
names on Linux without any problems) so is it safe to do that? I'd
like to have longer usernames so I can assign them pretty like the
user's realname making it easy for them to remember it. I think it's a
pain for them to remember and for us to figure out who's really
the owner of something...

[1] And NFS is going to be used as well as the standard utils such
as chmod and chown.

CU
Gabriel