Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:23:51 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: software

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:02:52AM -0500, Frank Milner wrote:
> Dear FreeBSDm
>
> This no doubt sounds like a naive question, but will Windows
> applications run under FreeBSD? If not, what everyday word processors,
> spreadsheets, utlilities, etc., can be used with this operating system?
> Perhaps Star Office applications?
>
> In other words, is FreeBSD suitable in anyway for the standalone
> desktop?

My heart sinks when I see this question, there was a debate about it on
this list a while ago that went to more than 100 messages in a single
thread, forcing me to adopt draconian filtering rules on my email :)

The short answer is no you cannot really run Windows apps as such,
well maybe you can, there is a project called "wine" that is supposed
to allow you to, but last time I looked it was still in Alpha stage and
has been for centuries. It is an almost impossibly difficult thing to
do since Microsoft specs are secrets, their API documentation lousy,
and they change the internal structure of their files with every release
of Word etc.

There are people who have worked very hard on producing Office type
products, many of them are very good. There are word processors, spread
sheets, any number of database applications, Gimp (a serious
professional level graphics program), integrated desktops, more
mail programs than you can shake a stick at etc etc. Much more
interesting screen-savers as well :)

Look into Gnome, KDE, Abiword, and Staroffice (Staroffice gets a bad
press but i quite like it, it does need a beefy machine though).

You may find many things that are "meant" for Linux, don't worry about
that FreeBSD can run most Linux apps without problem.

A lot of the word processors do understand Word formats, which
unfortunately is a de-facto document standard in the big bad world.

I was using Word 2000 the other day, and this little fellow kept popping
up in the bottom of my screen asking me if he needed to help me.
Word2000 also seems to like to capitilize words quite irrelevantly to
the context. When I was a lad sentences did start with capital letters,
but the previous ones usually ended with a full stop. This little rule
seems to have been forogtten about in the Redmond hills.

Anyway I don't think you will find too much of that in the offerings
available.

So i would say try it out, you are almost spoilt for choice in fact.

I personally like Gnome as a heavyweight and Window Maker as a
lightweight (weight here referring to machine resources required).

--
Regards
Cliff