Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:35:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building EGCS.  What am I missing?

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> I don't understand how you can have all these problems with egcs :-)

It's amazing how doing something that looks like what someone emailed you
to do isn't in actuality. ;-)

> I've build pgcc-980122 in both native & ELF cross compiler just a few
> minutes ago. I don't use the port though and I compile the snapshots, not
> the released version.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> cd pgcc-980122
> mkdir objdir
> cd objdir
> ../configure --host=i386-unknown-freebsd3.0 --enable-haifa --prefix=/opt/egcs
> gmake bootstrap
> gmake install

I tried that, and it built just fine.  However, I can't seem to get it to
make shared libraries at all :/  I've mucked around with switching to ELF,
however, the milding success I've had with that makes me wary of
rebuilding the whole system (which I'd have to do if I wanted to do elf X
programming).  Any words of wisdom?

Linux: The Microsoft Windows(tm) of the Unix(tm) world.

- alex