Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 17:35:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: USB difficulties

On 28-May-00 John Daniels wrote:
> Hi:
>
> The FreeBSD Faq (Chapter 2. Hardware compatibility, Q: I have a USB
> keyboard. Does FreeBSD support it?) may have some typos.  It states:
>
>>1.Use FreeBSD 3.2 or later.
>>
>>   2.Add the following lines to your kernel configuration file, and
>> >rebuild the kernel.
>>
>>         controller      uhci0
>>         controller      ohci0
>>         controller      usb0
>>         controller      ukbd0
>>         options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
>>

> has "controller" been changed to "device"?  is KBD_INSTALL_CDEV needed on a
> 4.0 system?  I didn't see it in GENERIC (which contains a bunch of usb
> devices and options commented out)

Yes, it has.  KBD_INSTALL_CDEV lets you use a USB keyboard via kbdcontrol,
so it is pretty much needed, yes.

>>   3.Go to the /dev directory and create device nodes as follows:
>>
>>         # cd /dev
>>         # ./MAKEDEV kbd0 kbd1
>>
>>   4.Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines:
>>
>>         usbd_enable="YES"
>>         usbd_flags=""
>>
>>After the system is rebooted, the AT keyboard becomes /dev/kbd0 and
>>the USB keyboard becomes /dev/kbd1, if both are connected to the
>>system. If there is the USB keyboard only, it will be /dev/ukbd0.
>                                                   !---------^--!
>
> "ukbd" is not consistent with the rest of this FAQ entry.  This is a typo?

Yes, it should be kbd0.

>>If you want to use the USB keyboard in the console, you have to
>>explicitly tell the console driver to use the existence of the USB
>>keyboard. This can be done by running the following command as a part
>>of system initialization.
>>
>>    # kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null
>>
>>Note that if the USB keyboard is the only keyboard, it is accessed as
>>/dev/kbd0, thus, the command should look like:

Actually, read ukbd(4), it has some more detail on this, but basically,
this is right.

> FYI: For USB mouse support, the FAQ asks that the following be added to the
> above steps:
>
>>2.Add the following lines to your kernel configuration file
>>
>>         device      ums0
>>
>>   3.Go to the /dev directory and create a device node as follows:
>>
>>         # cd /dev
>>         # ./MAKEDEV ums0
>>
>>   4.Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines:
>>
>>         moused_enable="YES"
>>         moused_type="auto"
>>         moused_port="/dev/ums0"
>>         moused_flags=""
>>
>>     See the previous section for more detailed discussion on moused.

No need for this step if you run usbd as usbd by default starts up
moused for any mice plugged into the system.  See /etc/ubsd.conf.

>>   5.In order to use the USB mouse in the X session, edit XF86Config.
>>If you are using XFree86 3.3.2 or later, be sure to have the
>>following lines in the
>>     Pointer section:
>>
>>         Device     "/dev/sysmouse"
>>         Protocol    "Auto"
>
> Is this the right place to look for instructions?  Are these instructions
> correct (up to date)? I looked in the handbook and did a search but the FAQ
> was the best that I found (there are no instructions in the handbook, as far
> as I can see)

These are close, but the manpages for USB devices are probably the best
place to look.