Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 22:54:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        shegonee@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: direct serial connection

> How can I verify a serial connection between two machines?
> I have two Pentiums side-by-side running FreeBSD 2.1. using a null-modem
> cable connecting COM2(ttyd1,cuaa1) on one machine to COM2 on the other.
> I've verified that gettys are running on these ports; however, when
> I run minicom on one machine configured to use /dev/ttyd1, I am unable
> to get a login prompt or anything.

You have to make sure you have a getty running on each of the serial
port lines that you want to accept logins from.  Edit /etc/ttys
and add a line that turns ``on'' a getty for ttyd1.

> The modems work fine on ttyd2(cuaa2) for dialing in and out. I noticed

Huh???  Are you looking at ttyd2 or ttyd1??

> that almost everthing in rc.serial is commented out. Is there any special
> modifcations to FreeBSD 2.1 out of the box that is needed to allow
> direct terminal connections?
> The FAQ: 10.9. How can I connect a dumb terminal to my FreeBSD box?
> (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ151.html#151) doesn't give any
> useful information to troubleshoot serial connections.
> How can you verify connectivity with direct serial connections?

You could run kermit (or any other terminal emulation program, etc.)
on both machines and just watch characters typed on *one*
keyboard appear on the OTHER monitor, etc.  Of course, this all
assumes you have baud rates, etc. set right.

Works fine.

--don