Date:      10 Apr 2002 01:23:27 -0300
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Freer <x-sb@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: auto start program in Gnome

--=-ukDpyI4v5N3umhZeWW/x

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 22:57, Freer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>=20
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.5R +Xfree86 4.1 + Gnome 1.4 + Enlightenment
> 0.16.5, when I start it and open a terminal and run a program(chinput&,
> a Chinese input server), the program ran and I can see the process by
> run "ps".
>=20
> I want to run it automatically every time I started X, so I put it in
> the startup programs in Gnome's control center. Then I restart X,, open
> a terminal and run "ps", I can't see the process and can't input Chinese.

I never liked doing this.  The applications didn't behave the way I
wanted them to.

>=20
> Then I put the program in .xinitrc, and start X, the program still
> doesn't start!
> Then I put the program in .xsession and start X, it still doesn't start!

How do you start GNOME?  I use gdm, and thus, all my startup stuff goes
into ~/.gnomerc.  For example, here is my ~/.gnomerc:

mixer vol 50 pcm 75 cd 75
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

If you use startx, then stuff in ~/.xinitrc should work.  If you use
xdm, then ~/.xsession.  I'm not sure what kdm or wdm use (but I think
it's ~/.xsession).

Joe

>=20
> What's wrong?