Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2018 05:30:00 -0800
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [bug] fsck refuses to repair damaged UFS using backup superblock

Howdy!

 Since send-pr(1) is now gone, I guess the next option is to send a
 message directly to the developers...

 Yesterday, I ran into a bug in fsck_ffs that gave me a little scare.

 Short story: on -CURRENT, fsck refuses to check a FS with a corrupted
 superblock, even when an alternate (backup) SB location is given.

 Long story. I've been testing a newly-built system based on an X399
 platform with a 2950X CPU and an Optane 905P 480GB U.2 drive. The
 system ran a ~2-day old -CURRENT; when compiling newest world and
 kernel, I found the machine in a locked-up state. After a hard reset,
 boot failed because the root FS became corrupted & was not available:
   kernel: Superblock check-hash failed: recorded check-hash XXX != computed check-hash YYY

 I have not yet figured out why the corruption happened... bad hardware?
 bug in the NVMe driver?

 "OK", I thought, "No worries. We'll just boot using another disk, fsck
 the corrupted FS with a backup superblock, and be up in a moment".
 The machine was doing nothing but compiling, so no valuable data loss.

 So I did `dumpfs -m /dev/ada0p3` on the spare disk (which was the
 source for the new disk image, thus had almost identical partitions
 and filesystems) to get the FS details, then did `newfs -N [...]
 /dev/ada0p3` to find locations of superblock backups, then finally
 ran `fsck_ffs -b 192 /dev/nvd0p3` -- only to get the same "check-
 -hash failed" message, plus another strange message: "Can't open
 /dev/nvd0p3: [...]". Then fsck quits.
 Note that `fsck_ffs -b ...` on a FS with good superblock works OK.

 After fiddling with a debugger for a bit, I commented out the line
 "return (0);" in /usr/src/sbin/fsck_ffs/setup.c:136, recompiled fsck,
 and the FS was recovered successfully.

 What was actually happening: fsck's setup.c calls ufs_disk_fillout()
 from libufs' type.c, which in turn calls sbread() from the same
 library, which then calls sbget(disk->d_fd, &fs, -1) [[where '-1'
 is hard-coded to indicate the primary superblock]] that then simply
 invokes ffs_sbget from ffs kernel driver -- and this returns ENOENT,
 which eventually causes fsck to give up before even looking at the
 specified backup superblock.

 I don't know what exactly ufs_disk_fillout() does, but fortunately
 for me, fsck worked without the "sbread(disk)" part of that function
 having much luck on a disk with corrupted superblock. Also, I have a
 feeling that calling a kernel's ffs driver function when using fsck
 to fix a broken filesystem is not the best thing to do...

 Please CC, as I am not subscribed.

--
[SorAlx]  ridin' VN2000 Classic LT