Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:54:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS.

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:08:26 CST, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:

> I found "mfsroot.gs" on it.
>
> Of course this is a ziped image of a file system.
>
> How can I mount this image so I can read it and take "/stand/sysinstall"
> out of there ?

First off, you're better off grabbing stable source and rebuilding
sysinstall from /usr/src/release/sysinstall (make; make install).

However, if you can't do that, you can gunzip the mfsroot.gz image and
mount it with the vn(4) interface.  You'll need vn(4) in your kernel
(this is why it's probably not worth your while doing it this way).
Then should be able to use the vnconfig(8) command to "mount" the
mfsroot file as a filesystem.

I haven't done this myself, so I can't give you any more specific advice
than that.  But take my word for it, the source upgrade is the easiest.
:-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.