Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:07:38 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Andrew J. Caines" <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Subject:   Re: ts_to_ct flood on 8.1-STABLE

>Since installing 8.1-RC2 and now on up-to-date RELENG_8 I am frequently
>getting kern.crit messages like
>
>ts_to_ct(1281661818.743348859) = [2010-08-13 01:10:18]
>
>and have been unable so far to determine their origin or purpose. I saw
>no such messages while running 7.x or earlier releases.

This occurs when the rtc is set, via:

atrtc_settime-->clock_ts_to_ct

after a verbose boot.  I think that someone changed some of the
timekeeping code to periodically adjust the value of the rtc if ntp is
used to update the system time, machdep.disable_rtc_set=0, and the rtc
driver hasn't been disabled:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=208297

This is probably what you are seeing.  It should occur every
machdep.rtc_save_period seconds. It's probably harmless, unless the
adjustments are big or erratic, in which case you may want to check
your rtc's battery, or the results of your ntp usage.

b.