Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:34:55 -0500
From:      Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID management with FreeBSD

I've hunted through the various FreeBSD mailing list archives,
checked http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/ for status information,
but I still can't seem to get a good feel for how well RAID is
supported under FreeBSD.

As far as I can tell, there is fairly decent support in FreeBSD
for installing onto a RAID, and I have one system running on a Dell
PERC3/DC (AMI MegaRAID) controller without any difficulty.  However,
for machines hidden away in a machine room somewhere, I need to
know when a disk fails, be able to replace it, and have the data
on the disk rebuilt without any downtime for the system.  This is
what I am having trouble finding information on.  It appears there
might be utilities available for some of the Adaptec controllers,
and there is mention on Mike Smith's RAID page of a utility for
the AMI controllers, but there doesn't seem to be any difinitive
information on what operations are supported, where to get the
software, or how to implement any of this into a production system.
Somewhere I found a link labelled "FreeBSD RAID" to
http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/raid/ but I have been unable to reach the
site.

I guess what I'm asking is, which RAID controllers under FreeBSD
have the support behind them (management utilities, etc.) to
provide un-interruptable service in the case of disk failure?

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University