Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:35:45 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributing binary ksh93

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 04 22:07 -0400,
sent by Christian Weisgerber

> parv <parv_@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > according to  q12 on...
> >
> > http://kornshell.com/doc/faq.html
> >
> > ...we (freebsd ports) may be able to provide ksh93 as a binary
> > package as long as we "make the license terms available to everyone
> > [we] distribute binaries to"...
>
> Actually, my understanding of the license text itself suggests that
> shipping the acknowledgment included in pkg-message is all that's
> required.  The full license must be made available (or maybe even
> explicitly acknowledged) for the source to be distributed.

understanding seems to be mutual.

it would have been nice if the license tell-n-show process actually had
used the pkg-message before extracting & fetching the sources. as
it is now, license is extracted from the sources and/or is shown after
extracting the sources...

---------------------------
# make
===>  Extracting for ksh93-20010704.0000
>> Checksum OK for ksh93/INIT.2001-07-04.0000.tgz.
>> Checksum OK for ksh93/ast-ksh.2001-07-04.0000.tgz.
===>  Patching for ksh93-20010704.0000
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for ksh93-20010704.0000
===>  Configuring for ksh93-20010704.0000
===>  Building for ksh93-20010704.0000
-pipe: not found
package: /source/ports/shells/ksh93/work/lib/package/LICENSES/ast: license has not been accepted yet

Enter y to accept, p to print, n to reject, anything else to quit:
|          This license covers all software that refers to the URL             |
|           http://www.research.att.com/sw/license/ast-open.html               |

                            SOURCE CODE AGREEMENT
---------------------------

> The license text is impenetrable legalese, so I may be misreading
> things.  I'm not convinced that the programmers at AT&T (as opposed
> to the legal department) understand it either, though.

i say it's better to be cautious than be sorry...

> > ...and i have ksh93 statically compiled (w/ man page) from the ports
> > when the listed source file was available. that source file listed in
> > hasn't change yet in ports/shells/ksh93/makefile.
>
> Admittedly I was a bit slow in updating the port, but I eventually
> submitted an update on July 10 and it has simply been sitting
> unprocessed in the PR database since then.  Trevor Johnson has
> finally committed it a few hours ago.

thanks to you both; ksh93 now compiles w/o any problems.

okay... i found that there is no package for this port; is there any
plan to offer, as my above offer still stands ... albeit for the newest
ksh93 available from ports.

if the problem is how to ask the user to accept the license, then
couldn't the pkg_add be "fixed" somehow?

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv