Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2014 09:08:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        allanjude@freebsd.org, m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cluster FS?

>From owner-freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org Wed Oct  1 03:25:08 2014
>
>On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-09-30 04:45, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > Not sure if this is the right list...
>> > I wanted to ask about a cluster file system.
>> > Is there something like this on FreeBSD?
>> >
>> > It seems to me (just from reading the handbook)
>> > that none of NFS, HAST or iSCSI provide this.
>> >
>> > My specific needs are as follows.
>> > I have multiple nodes and a disk array.
>> > Each node is connected by fibre to the disk array.
>> > I want to have each node read/write access
>> > to all disks on disk array.
>> > So that if any node fails, the
>> > data is still accessible
>> > via the remaining nodes.
>> >
>> > I want to have all nodes equal, i.e. no master/slave
>> > or server/client model. Also, the disk array
>> > provides adequate RAID already, so that is not
>> > needed either.
>> >
>> > In the archives I see that the demands for
>> > a cluster FS support on FreeBSD have been expressed
>> > periodically over a very long time, but seems
>> > there's never been any resolution.
>> > Some people mention GFS, but I've no idea
>> > if this what I'm trying to describe.
>> >
>> > So is what I'm describing a cluster FS at all?
>> > Is there something like this on FreeBSD already?
>> > Is there someting in ports that can be used
>> > to achive this?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Anton

>> What you are describing doesn't really seem to be a 'cluster' FS.
>>
>> In a cluster, the disks would reside in multiple machines, and the 'file
>> system' would withstand any one of those machines going down. That is
>> quite a bit different than just wanting a bunch of clients to have
>> concurrent access to a single disk array.
>>
>> If you explain your use-case in more detail, we may be able to guide you
>> in the right direction.
>>
>> --
>> Allan Jude
>>

>The following pages and their associated pages may be useful for
>definitions of terms and available capabilities :
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Virtual_Machine
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_%28coordination_language%29
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Parallel_computing
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Concurrent_computing
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Distributed_computing
>

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shared_disk_file_systems
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Network_file_systems
>

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceph_%28software%29
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XtreemFS
>

>The above problem seems to be "Network-attached_storage" .

Now I'm even more confused.

I think what I have is called SAN.
The disk array is HP MSA1000:
 http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04324510

*quote*
The HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1000 (MSA1000)
is a 2 Gb Fibre Channel storage system
designed for the entry-level to mid-range Storage Area Network (SAN).
*end quote*

The disk array has 8-port 2 Gb Fibre Channel Fabric Switch.
At present I connect 3 FreeBSD 10 nodes to the disk array via fibre.
However, only one node at a time is able to mount disks.
What I'm looking for is the solution to
be able to mount the disks on the disk array for
read/write access from all nodes, up to 8.
So that if a node fails, the data is still accessible
via the other nodes.

The model that I'm describing is a VMS cluster model.
I'm not sure if it makes sense for FreeBSD.

Thanks

Anton