Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:08:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can the bootloader create a file or set a flag in the bootblocks?

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Obviously we can't write to CDROMs, but a persistence mechanism needs
> > > to work with each of these others.  I've been leaning towards a very
> > > simple solution using a small, preallocated file which we just
> > > overwrite.  It's not beautiful, but it's workable.
> >
> > It can't go into free space in a boot block? We still have room left over...
> > It could only be a few bytes, enumerating numbered kernels in /boot/kernels.rc,
> > or something like that
>
> It needs to be a general solution, and see above, again, for the things
> it needs to be able to do.

So for FFS, it could be stored in the superblock, label, or one of the other
structures that aren't actually inodes, right? For FAT, couldn't it be stored in
either the FAT or the volume name? TFTP and NFS are both non-local, but still
have writing capabilities built in.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___