Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:07:21 -0700
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        dima@unixfreak.org, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: config -g vs. config

. . . .|I don't quite understand what you're asking.  The -g option will build
. . . .|a kernel with debugging symbols.  Debugging symbols take space.
6MB
. . . .|for a debug kernel and 1.5MB for a non-debug sounds reasonable.
. . . .|What's your question?

	That's exactly my question when i do "config -g MYKERNEL" I get
a kernel that is 1.5MB, as I understand the "-g" option == build kernel
with debugging symbols.   If I do "config MYKERNEL", I get a kernel that
is 6MB, and as I understood "man config" the "-g" option == build kernel
with debugging symbols, why is it if i use -g my kernel is 1.5MB but if I
dont' use it it's 6MB, to me it seems that this is completely opposite of the
"man config" tells me.

On 03/06/2001 10:01:15 PM, Dima Dorfman is quoted as saying:

. . . .|Please wrap your lines to 75 characters or less.
. . . .|
. . . .|Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com> writes:
. . . .|> I was rebuilding my kernel the other day [4.2-Stable], and I did
man
. . . .|> config, looked at the "g" option, it says something along the lines
. . . .|> of build kernel with debugg ing symbols [not at a FreeBSD box
now],
. . . .|> now shouldn't debugging symbols make the kernel bigger, not
smaller?
. . . .|> I followed the "Complete FreeBSD book" using the -g opti on, then
. . . .|> though, that if I dont' put that in, the kernel should be smaller as
. . . .|> it has n o debugging info in it, what turned out is that the kernel
. . . .|> was actually 6MB instead of th e regular 1.5MB, did I
misunderstand
. . . .|> the "man config" about the "g" option or am I miss ing something?
. . . .|
. . . .|I don't quite understand what you're asking.  The -g option will build
. . . .|a kernel with debugging symbols.  Debugging symbols take space.
6MB
. . . .|for a debug kernel and 1.5MB for a non-debug sounds reasonable.
. . . .|What's your question?
. . . .|
. . . .|					Dima Dorfman
. . . .|					dima@unixfreak.org
. . . .|
. . . .|To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
. . . .|with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org