Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 15:25:30 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Joseph A. Mallett" <jmallett@xMach.org>, Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Acknowledgement by Jobs

At 8:01 AM -0400 5/29/01, Joseph A. Mallett wrote:

>  I thought AOL started as text-mode in DOS?

	Actually, AOL got their start in 1982 as Quantum Computer
Services, and made a 300 baud modem module for the original Atari
game consoles.  That was how they got their start.

	In fact, many companies paid AOL money to port their software to
support a virtual on-line service exclusively for their hardware --
the original AppleLink (for Apple ][ and //e computers) was done this
way, as well as the later eWorld.

	There is one and only one platform that AOL has ever written
their software for and which the OS vendor did *NOT* pay them for
this privilege, namely Microsoft.  And that was a big "bet the
company" type of decision.  Nevertheless, they really took off, and
this was the launching pad for the company we now know.

	Indeed, when I first started working at AOL, my office was just
down the hall from one of the original "core four" that founded the
company, and he had a literal museum of old bits-n-bobs of things
that had been produced over the years.  He helped instill a real
sense of historical perspective on many of the employees I knew.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */