Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:37:13 -0700
From:      John Armstrong <siberian@siberian.org>
To:        Adam Ulmer <ulmer@ulmer.iserver.net>
Cc:        paz <paz@apriori.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web-based mail software

Well, for our requirements, we needed to remove ourselves as much as
possible from any kind of userland access to the machine. We also
needed to have it be self-contained. With most of the Open Source
solutions you have heavy ties into system level accounts to hold mail
etc. Communigate Pro lets us run as many domains as we want, each
with their own unique user name space/configurations/look&feel with
IMAP, POP3, WebMail etc. You pay to play but the result was worth it
in our case. The support we get is phenomenal as well which has
really come in handy as we roll our new stuff out.

If you are just concerned about giving existing user accounts web
access to their mail then CommuniGate is big time overkill, go with
an open source style product.

John-