Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:56:19 -0500
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        Alex Rodioukov <simuran@shaw.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems

--------------Boundary-00=_VH1AYEKV76BGS3PBP72L

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 01:24 am, you wrote:
> Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > it boggles my mind that it would work just fine for everything except
> > /usr/home.  accessing the home directory was the main reason for doing
> > this!  that and learning some stuff about NFS, which i seem to be.
> > thanks for the help so far, but does anyone have any ideas about what
> > to do?  thanks again
>
> Uh, ok... Can you please send exact error messages from mount command
> on client, relevant error messages from /var/log/messages on server
> and actual contents of your /etc/exports file?
>
> Are you running mount as root when mounting the /usr/home share? Send
> the exact command you're using.

i've attached the working exports file.  after i had a nights sleep, i think
i know what changed.  i did have /usr/home ......... and then /usr ...... on
the next line, when i tried to put them on one line and it didn't work, i
moved them back to a seperate line.  i don't know if have /usr/home before
/usr would cause a problem, but thats the only thing i can think of that
changed

ok, the messages that mountd was giving were:
mount request denied from 172.16.32.103 for /usr

and the message that i got on the client was simply
a permission denied.

the command i was using, and am still using because it works is

mount_nfs 172.16.33.3:/usr/home mount_point

could the entries in exports being in the wrong order have caused this? or is
there such a thing as being in the wrong order?  thanks for all the help

Nathan

--------------Boundary-00=_VH1AYEKV76BGS3PBP72L

L3VzcgkJMTcyLjE2LjMyLjEwMyAKL3Vzci9ob21lCS1tYXByb290PW5hdGhhbgkxNzIuMTYuMzIu
MTAzCg==