Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:36:55 +0100
From:      Ian Hunter <Ian.Hunter@uk.uu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Gaming from PC on an ISP connected LAN...or summit like that!

[Using FBSD 2.2.7, I think]

I feel this is taking me into unchartered waters....

I gather that I might have to set up ipfw, then natd. I think the reply
at the bottom also indicates an upgrade of ppp.....isn't life fun!

OK (draws breath), I'm about to embark on setting up ipfw, and I've
never rebuilt the kernal before. I want to do a series of small steps
which leave the machine running at each step. A few quick questions....

1. If I enable ipfw in the kernal, but don't set ipfw_enabled in rc.conf,
will my system still work as is, or do I have to go the whole hog?

2. Am I correct in assuming that in rc.firewall, my external interface
is tun0 when using ppp?

3. In rc.firewall, my external IP is going to be a dynamic address. Now I
currently
use userland ppp to connect. Can I enable the firewall after connecting with
PPP or
should I use kernal based ppp? In other words how do I get rc.firewall to be
configured
on a dynamic IP?

4. Any hints/tips beyond that of the manuals?

Appologies if these are silly questions!

Any help pointers appreciated...

Many Thanks
Ian Hunter