Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 01:26:09 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kewms@kew.com
Subject:   Re: after the release ... patching

A couple comments on the patch adventure ...

I specifically thought of a binary patch, for the reasons other have given,
namely space and time.  If the patch can include source and source is locally
installed, it can also do the source.  One should avoid downloading source if
not needed.

Also, you don't want patches for every change in the tree, only critical items
-- and never new function (hey, some people SHOULD track stable or wait the
next CD-ROM).  I think other have already alluded to this, and especially the
testing a patch should get.

If you don't think people are running FreeBSD on small systems, I'll introduce
you to my friend athena the 386/33, and an associates's friend's 386/20 with
two 130M drives.  athena just went on a diet, too -- she had a 2G drive, but I
swiped it and replaced it with a 250M unit.

<babble>
Random hardware bitch ...

The Compaq did show up ... it took an MIT engineer ~ 2 hours to get the 2G
disk drive and the CD-ROM drive installed into the Compaq, and she knows
hardware -- in her very misspent youth she was also a Xerox field rep.  Damn,
Compaq doesn't do things normally -- or leave normal engineering clearances.
(Now I know the hard way why my computer tool kit has a star headed screw
driver -- it also needs rubber mallet to work on the new system.)

As for the Ethernet card, I grabbed an ISA SMC card from athena as well, food
chained a spare LinkSys into athena.

Now if the brand X CD-ROM drive in the Compaq would stop vibrating the entire
dining table...
</babble>

I didn't get to my test of the network install.  Maybe tomorrow.  Bed time.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com
                                   Telephone:  617-279-9812

"I lay my head on the railroad tracks, wait for the double E
 The railroad don't run no more, poor poor pitiful me . . ."
                                                - Warren Zevon