Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 22:41:47 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Eric Paynter <eric@arcticbears.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ../../conf/files: x must be optional, mandatory or standard

> Eric Paynter wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> I just finished a binary upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 from the iso and
> all went well! Now, I'm trying to recompile my kernel and I'm having
> a problem. When I run /usr/sbin/config <myconfig> from within
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, it returns ../../conf/files:
> coda/coda_fbsd.c must be optional, mandatory, or standard. When I
> look in ../../conf/files, I see that there are many lines with
> "count" in place of "optional". My assumption is that I missed
> something when updating my sources, since I've never seen this
> before.
>
> My CVSup file requests the following sources:
>
> doc_all
> ports_all
> src_base
> src_include
> src_lib
> src_sys
> src_sys_crypto
>
> I'm not a kernel guru; usually I just remove the lines for drivers I
> don't need from the conf file and recompile. I don't know what the
> files in ../../conf are and I would also like some pointers to
> documentation about them. I read the man for config and it was
> completely unhelpful. Also, the FBSD Handbook doesn't get into that
> much detail about kernel recompiles...

I saw your email this morning and all I could think of that I wouldn't
have done it this way. If all you are going to do is run a release, I
would have done a src-all with a tag=RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE. The doc-all
and port-all need a "tag=.". You can do it doc-all tag=. but I prefer
to do it on a different cvsup since I capture the log from a system
cvsup but not for the ports or docs.

I also wouldn't run a release. I follow the 4-stable or RELENG_4 tree.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA