Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 16:02:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FAQ + Ports/Packages

[please cc me since I'm not subscribed to -doc]

Hi,

in the FAQ is no part which deals with problems in the port / package
structure.

I vote for a extra section for ports / package questions in the FAQ (without
knowing anything about "How to build proper documentation" - but willing to
help - if I find the time to install and learn the doc set of programs). :)

We can provide users (the minor part who read documentation) with some help to
get involved with the port / package infrastructure. There are often questions
like "What is the difference between ports and packages?". If we could point
them to the FAQ _and_ the handbook I will feel better :)

Questions?

And I have a first question-answer-part ready:
[If someone can formulate it better in english I will not be disapointed :)]

Q: I have got the following message after typing make in a port directory "===>
<portname with number> : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk. You
need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the instructions."
How can I install that port?

F: Your system date is older than the date in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk. Please
check your local time with date(1) (link to the man page for date) and set the
correct time.
If the port still will not build with the same error please check
/var/db/port.mkversion if that date is back in time.
(Perhaps add a hint that with securelevel=2 in /etc/rc.conf that is not
possible to make a big change in the system time.)

The second question-answer-part could be:
Q: What is the difference between ports and packages?

A: Take a look into the handbook at
http://www.de.freebsd.org/handbook/x4336.html . Packages are
Third-Party-Programs distributed in binary or pre-compiled binaries from the
ports. Ports are .... hmm, how to describe it easy?

More topics to follow.

Thanks,

Marc

PS: The reason why I first send a mail to the list and not a patch is a) my bad
english b) I wanted to know if there is a need to invent a FAQ for ports/packages.