Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:41:52 -0700
From:      Ahmon Dancy <dancy@franz.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/7189

>> > Wait!  It works on the other operating systems, though!  I agree that
>> > it should use a version number if available.. but, if it doesn't find
>> > a libxxx.so.m.n, it should accept a libxxx.so if it finds one.
>>
>> Agreed.  Why is this a bad idea, Poul-Henning?

Hi fellas.  I was hoping to see more discussion on this... I'm hoping
this mail will strict up some conversation on the subject.

On another note, how is the '-R' flag to 'ld' supposed to work? The
man page for 'ld' mentions -R in the syntax description but does not
have any more works to say about it later in the man page.  I suspect
that there is a bug in its operation.  (i.e., when you later
dynamically load a .so file, it doesn't really use the search path
specified by -R... only LD_LIBRARY_PATH).