Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:22:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        zebra@dml.com, zebra@zebra.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [zebra 4398] fbsd-5.0/zebra 0.87: ospf stuck in INIT and dies after debug ospf packet all

> Solved,
>
> many thanks to Rodney ...
>
> Culprit was a static route to the loopback interface, which was
> necessary in the past to get multicasts out of BSDs IP stack ...
>
> Now you need nothing anymore... it simply works !!!

_NOTHING_????  Or did you end up with just a default route?
In the past is what I had found was you either needed a default route,
or a route for 224.0.0.0/4 to an interface, and it couldn't be a
-interface route, it needed to be 224.0.0.0/4 -> some local ip on
a physical ethernet device capable of multicast (It didn't matter
if it was the one you where trying to start ospf up on or not
though, any interface would do).

> Thanks again !!!
Welcome, just glad it has been found!!

(I'm still waiting on zebra ospf to become a far bit less of a moving
target before doing much of anything real with it, I don't think it is
quite ready to deal with a 36 ospf router network that has some very
complex multi-pathing in it.)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net