Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:20:55 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

Hi,

> 	I asked my supplier for a quote on the GigaByte GA-586DX-512
> Motherboard, and got the following response:
>
> ----
> I am still searching for the GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard.
> Apparantly they have had a great deal of problems with this board and are not
> carrying it anymore.  I still might find one but would you consider getting
> something more reliable. eg. Asus.  Let me know what you need ie: PCI/ISA/EISA
> and tomarrow I can find prices for you.
> ----
>
> 	Can anyone comment on this?  I've always had good dealing with
> the ASUS brand of motherboards, but is there an equivalent ASUS motherboard
> that ppl would recommend?
>
> 	I'm wondering if their "great deal of problems" might have been
> with earlier models, and they just said to hell with carrying it altogether?

or they just want to sell you what they have experience with (or can make
more money on).

This is the board that I pound on many hours a day, and have never had a lick
of trouble with it.  It supports the MP spec properly (and there's a LOT
of room in that spec to do stupid things).  Never seen a sigfault that "smells"
of the flaky memory sub-system variety.  I do see occasional faults, but we
know the current SMP kernel is not "doing the good thing" in all respects
yet.  From my limited experience of one board I would not hesitate to recommend
it.  Try www.atipa.com, they could probably have one to you by end of the week.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD