Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 00:48:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      bugs@warlock.win.net (Mark Hittinger)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Usernames > 8 chars

Hi -

	I am in the process of converting some machines to FreeBSD
platforms.  Having a bunch of fun but among the little annoyances
was the discovery that FreeBSD limits usernames to 8 characters.  The
machines that I am converting are in some cases using 9 and 10 character
usernames.

	I've hunted down all the modules that I think I need to change.
Some of the symbols are like "UT_NAMESIZE" ect.

	Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me about what I might
break if I proceed to stretch this field out two more bytes?  :-)

	As part of the "less limits" nature of the BSD4.4 I am surprised
that this one is still there.  I know that various other ancient warez
such as uucp ect may have trouble with longer usernames but the installed
base seems to accept up to 10.

thanks
mark.h
bugs@win.net