Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 1997 10:10:11 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broked stable

> please point to me (yes, again...) the flaw in my procedure:
>

> My cvsup file:
>
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/Archives/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS
> *default release=cvs
> *default host=sup.FreeBSD.org

"sup.freebsd.org" works currently, but it's an obsolescent hostname.
I'd suggest using the equivalent "cvsup2.freebsd.org" instead.

> *default hostbase=/home

This line is waaaaay obsolete.  It's ignored, so you might as well
get rid of it.

I also noticed from the server logs that you're 1 revision behind in
your CVSup client.  Generally I try to make new revisions better in
some way than old ones. :-)

> My cvsup command line:
>
> cd /usr/local/etc/cvsup
> rm -rf sup

WHOA!  Why on earth are you doing that?!  You are _guaranteeing_
that files removed from the repository won't get removed on your own
system.  There's no telling how much extra cruft you have lying
around as a result.

> Then I do :
>
> rm -rf /usr/src/2.2/src
> rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
> cd /usr/src/2.2
> cvs checkout -rRELENG_2_2 src
> cd ..
> ln -s /usr/src/2.2/src/* .

What's the point of creating all those links in the parent
directory?  Never mind, I probably don't want to know. :-)

> It must be a flawed procedure because it works only 60% of the
> time.  Different days produce different errors (no joke).  Monday,
> it was an html file with the wrong format.  Turns out to be a 3.0
> file that somehow ended up in the 2.2 tree.

Erm ... have you run fsck lately?  Have you been mounting your disks
async?

> Today, the make depend part of make world blows up because the tty
> command does not get built/installed in
> /usr/obj/usr/src.2.2/src/tmp/usr/bin.  Yes, I started the build,
> and then snuck it in.

You can "sneak things in" and get away with it sometimes, but it
makes it virtually impossible for anybody else to help with whatever
mysterious problems crop up.

> BTW, on normal days, I do not destroy the whole world.  I just run
> cvsup a couple of times to make sure I am current, do cvs update
> -P -d and make world.

I would also add "-r RELENG_2_2" even though the manual says you
don't have to.  There have been credible reports that it makes a
difference.

> The difference in reliability and predictability of the process is
> not very visible to me.

Right.  You shouldn't ever have to destroy your src tree and do a
full checkout.  A cvs update should be all you need.

I don't know what's causing your problems, but your repository
almost certainly has some extra files in it, because of your "rm -rf
sup" command.  There is no easy way to get rid of them or find out
what they are except by running find|sort on a good repository and on
your own, and comparing the lists.  Or delete your whole repository
and fetch it again. :-O

There is also some possibility that your problems could be explained
by corrupted filesystems.

Sorry, that's all I have to offer.

John