Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 01:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        flygt@sr.se
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newly installed 2.2.6

Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> When I updated my 2.2.5 to 2.2.6 I ran out of space on /. When
looking around I find that all the executable files in /stand are
of size 1167360! This goes for fsck, gzip and so on. The directory
is in total approx 22 Mb. Has it always been like this, or is it
a feature of 2.2.6?

 --------

Look more carefully; the directory /should/ look like:

-r-xr-xr-x  19 root  bin    - 1167360 Mar 24 21:31 bad144*
-r-xr-xr-x  19 root  bin    - 1167360 Mar 24 21:31 boot_crunch*
-r-xr-xr-x  19 root  bin    - 1167360 Mar 24 21:31 cpio*

Also, [root@castor /root]# du -k /stand
67      /stand/help
12      /stand/etc
1233    /stand
[root@castor /root]#

THis from a fresh install, not an upgrade.

Each of those files has 19 hardlinks, i.e. is the same file under
different names. This is done to save space on the floppy. (these are
all statically linked together, and thus only one copy of library
routines are needed. This, believe it or not, is more efficient
than building a special stripped down dynamic libc.)

But if your /stand has these files only with one link, then something
broke during installation, and you should send in a bug report, if
one is not on file already.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net