Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 00:57:51 -0500
From:      "Adam W. Hawks" <root@pent.ibm.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernet bandwidth?

I have 2 Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B cards in 2 machines.
The first machine is a Win95 box and the second is a FreeBSD box.
They are connected with a cross-over cable (which causes them to
run at 10Mbps). My question is what should I be seeing when I do
an ftp from one machine to another in terms of the amount of data
per second that is transfered?
When I start up a window with trafshow -i fxp0 it gives me the CPS
that is transfered. This number seems to be lower than I expected.
I get anywhere from 6,000 to 40,000 but it mostly stays around 8,000.

Have I got a configureation problem here? or is this normal?

TIA

Adam W. Hawks
awhawks@ibm.net